Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My New Favorite



At the beginning of the summer, I began making green smoothies. I wanted something easy and healthy and quick because otherwise, I just want pastries with my coffee.

I found a recipe somewhere, and I've been making them almost daily ever since. Sometimes for breakfast, sometimes for lunch. It took me a few sips to like it, but now I really look forward to my daily smoothie!

A few tips. 1) I use my Vitamix and the consistency is awesome. However, I've made it with other blenders and have had good results too. If your blender can crush ice, you should be set. My suggestion (if you're not using a Vitamix) is to process your oats first before adding other ingredients to insure that they are smooth and fine.  2) The banana can be frozen or fresh; it's a bit icier and colder when frozen, so that's my preference. 3) Sometimes I add a dash or two of cinnamon!

Green Smoothie

1 cup milk
1/4 cup old-fashioned uncooked oats
2 handfuls spinach leaves
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 banana
4-5 ice cubes

1. Place all ingredients in blender, in the order of ingredients listed. (Or order them based on your blender's suggestions for liquids, ice, etc.) Blend until smooth and pour into a glass. Enjoy!

Also, this smoothie does not have a strong banana flavor. The oatmeal and peanut butter are the flavors that stand out! I hope you enjoy…and if you have a favorite green smoothie recipe, I'd love it if you'd share!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love smoothies, but I have trouble with them because drinking something doesn't feel like a meal to me. Your recipe looks pretty normal and good, though. So many recipes out there just don't even taste good. :)

Shannon Family said...

I am sure you have heard of the blog ohsheglows.
She does some amazing recipes on her site. She has a section with green smoothies:
http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/beverages/green-monsters-beverages/

Hope you are doing well. Glad you are blogging again. I was missing seeing your family there for a bit.
Parkey:)

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs