Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Comfort Food


This past week, we've been plagued with some icky tummies. 

One thing my girls love when they're sick is applesauce.  And I love homemade (and warm!) applesauce, especially as fall turns to winter. 

If fruit has a comfort food counterpart, it's applesauce.  I thought I'd share a simple and delicious applesauce recipe for the crockpot.

Cinnamon Applesauce

10-12 apples, I use several varieties or whatever I have on hand
1/4 to 3/4 cup sugar 
4 cinnamon sticks

1. Core and dice apples. If you want a smoother applesauce, peel the apples first. I love the thicker texture of the whole apples.


2. Place all apples in a crockpot. Add sugar and stir to combine.(I used about 1/2 cup...and it turned out slightly sweeter than I'd prefer. I'll go with a bit less next time.) Stir in cinnamon sticks, so they're mostly covered by the apples.

3. Cook on High setting for 3.5 to 4 hours. Turn off heat. Allow to cool for one hour.  Mash the cooked apples by hand (I use a potato masher) or blend in a blender for a smoother, more even texture.


4. Serve warm or refrigerate! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jen Kershner said...

I have never thought to make homemade applesauce! Yours looks yummy. I hope everyone is on the mend in your home.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs