Monday, October 01, 2012

Day 1 of 31 Days: Making this House our Home




Today begins Day 1 of 31 Days: Making this House our Home. 

I am participating in the Nester's 31 Days challenge...and I hope that you'll join me as I write on this topic each day of October.

I'm a little nervous (and a lot excited) about this, as I've never blogged every day for a whole month before. 

And if you're also writing for 31 days, please let me know in the comments...I'd love to follow along with your series! So without further ado: 31 Days of Making this House our Home.

In my eleven years of being an air force wife, we have lived in four homes in four different states: North Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, and now Virginia. Trust me, I know that the 4 to 11 ratio in the military is a good one...and quite unusual.  (My brother-in-law and his family have moved 9 times in 15 years.)
But for the first time in our military life, we are currently in a short 13-month assignment. A rental house. With memories still fresh of the home we last built and expected to live in until we retired from the air force.

I've always said that it takes a year to get settled and feel purposeful in a new location. I don't have that luxury this time. We are five months in. Eight months to go.

The boxes are unpacked...but there are still things to be done.

I want this Virginia chapter in our story to be a special time that we can all look back on and say that we felt at home. I want this house to feel like home...not just because of how it's painted or where the pictures are hung (although that's part of it too)...but because of our (my) heart attitude about life while living in one place for a short time.


So welcome. To my blog, if you're new here. And to a peek at making this house in Virginia home.

This month, you can expect a mix of checking off the "to-do list," DIY projects, my inspiration sources, and reflections on family, home, and hospitality that will hopefully be applicable to life whether you've been "at home" for one month or fifty years.

(You can find all 31 days linked here: Making this House our Home.)

1 comment:

Jen Kershner said...

How fun! I will have to check out her blog. Good luck with your posting challenge!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs