Thursday, August 02, 2012

Hello August


Somewhat early this morning, as I walked outside, I could feel August.

For me, early August mornings are ever so slightly crisp with the lingering night air and yet full of the promise of the day's humidity.

today

There is a smell about August mornings that makes me believe I am still sixteen and leaving for the first day of my last year of school. Pictures in the garden before we go.  Ever so slightly misty.

On that day, I was technically still taller than Michael (though this picture doesn't seem like it), who now towers above me.  Senior and freshman.  I was excited to share the year with my brother...our first time at the same school since 5th grade. I probably hadn't slept much the night before...after twelve years, the first day still held excitement.

sixteen years ago

Oh, the earrings. A pair of twisted gold hoops were my Mom's, borrowed from the same jewelry box drawer as her high school class ring. I still have them. That shirt was from the Gap. I still have that too.

Parking in the senior lot that first day.  First period AP English. An assembly with the new principal & a class-wide reprimand for chewing gum. Cheerleading practice after school. I don't remember much else about that first day.

But the smell of early August mornings takes me right back.

How about you?

2 comments:

Jennie M said...

what fabulous memories! it makes me happy you shared them. :)

Shea and Jacob said...

And you just took me back to those days too!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs