Monday, July 02, 2012

Day 2: Summer Smile

Today, we toured our hometown of Asheville, NC on the Gray Line trolley tours. We had never done this before, and I have to say that it was a lot of fun to see "my" city as a tourist would!

There were new places I'd never visited, like our lunch stop at Chorizo and a quick visit to Battery Park Book Exchange & Champagne Bar...and lots of old favorites. (Including all but one restaurant from our engagement night progressive meal!)

One of my favorite areas to visit was the least familiar to me: the Montford district. There are sprawling lawns with stately buildings from the early part of last century...I could almost see those bygone days. For years, I have known that Zelda Fitzgerald spent time in Asheville...but today was the first time that I saw the Highland Mental Hospital where she spent her final years.





I think my favorite part, though, was getting to watch the kid's responses. I loved seeing Madeleine's smile. She loved feeling the wind on her face and seeing the next place we were headed. She also fell asleep on my lap just before we stopped for lunch. :)

Nathanael loved his tour sticker (which served as our ticket on and off at stops) and enjoyed finding a paper airplane origami book on one of our stops.

Hadleigh, in true form, pored over the tour map, counting how many stops until lunch and how many until we were back to our starting point. And at the end of our travels, she sweetly shared bites of her peach ice cream cone.

It was a special day...and I highly recommend taking a trolley tour! Such fun!

No comments:

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs