Thursday, February 02, 2012

I've got a golden ticket...


I remember asking to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when I had the chicken pox over Christmas break. That would have been kindergarten.  I didn't ask for it by name; I think I asked my aunt to pick out the movie where the little girl turned into a blueberry.  (I'm sure a friend had told me about it.) I don't think they brought it home from the video store that day...and to be honest, I don't remember the first time I watched the movie. But I do clearly remember the first request I made for it.



I do remember the first time I read Roald Dahl's book. It was a few years after the chicken pox. I remember loving the sketched illustrations (especially the grandparents all in one bed).  I remember wishing to be a character in the story. To drink from that chocolate river.  To taste an everlasting gobstopper.  (And I think it was the first book I ever read with a "bad word" in it!)

And though I don't remember my first viewing of the original movie, that scene where the winners of the golden tickets first see the chocolate river and room full of candied flowers...well, that memory is so very vivid. The lickable wallpaper. And oh, those golden eggs and Veruca Salt. :)


I was never very pleased with the Willy Wonka brand of candies produced...though I love Nerds...and to be quite honest, if Willy Wonka's chocolate factory truly existed, well, in my perfect world, it could only exist in Europe.

I love dark chocolate. All kinds of dark chocolate.  That top picture? Purchased from a trip to Whole Foods.  I'm a new fan of Madecasse. Love the chocolate, love the packaging.

But I've never been a fan of American milk chocolate. {gasp} I know.  Hershey's bars and chocolate kisses and M&M's have never held much appeal to me, even as a child, but especially as an adult.

However. German milk chocolate? That's a whole new world.

A friend of ours hosted a German exchange student who introduced me to Ritter chocolates...and while we can get a few varieties here in the US...the one pictured above is my favorite and up until a trip to Asheville's Fresh Market last fall, I couldn't find them. So of course, I stocked up.


Some friends brought these back from a trip to Germany over Christmas...the Toffifee? It's wonderful.  And the kids love the Yogurette.  (They also brought another Ritter...I can't remember the name (and we ate it before I could take a picture!) but it's what a Kit-Kat SHOULD be. Mmmmm.)

So how do you feel about chocolate?  Dark or Milk or White? Favorite brand? Any must-try recommendations for me?  I figured this would be a great discussion since Valentine's Day is around the corner!

...and with a golden ticket, it's a golden day!!!!

5 comments:

Jennie M said...

I think that this is so cute. There's a German (or swiss?) milk chocolate I love ... it comes in a lavendar paper. I wish I could think of it ... anyway, I love all chocolate!

Christa said...

Oh yum, you are a lady after my own heart!! I would marry chocolate if I could!

Zorina said...

Yummilicious! On the way to Whole Foods to pick up that particular chocolate, thanks for the recommendation.

Danielle Higginbottom-Brown said...

mmmmm......I love Godiva's Dark Chocolate with Raspberries

diane said...

Yum! I loved trying all flavors of Ritter bars when I studied abroad in college, but I can't remember my favorite. I should probably do another taste test to figure it out.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs