Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Make this soon!

After the busy fall season, I find myself every year rekindling my love for cooking as winter approaches. 

This school year thus far has seemed so busy.  And when I'm busy, I find myself desiring "creative time" in the kitchen less and less.  I rely on family favorites that I could whip up in my sleep.  

But there is something about Thanksgiving and the cooler weather as we approach Christmas that makes me want to scour my cookbooks, push up my sleeves, and cook (or bake!) something yummy, something that just might become the next family favorite.

A recipe shared by a sweet friend I met right after moving to Oklahoma was the perfect inspiration for this week, which is full of cooking new recipes.  I made this quiche on Sunday night...and it was a hit with {almost} everyone.  

This is a very flavorful quiche...an easy quiche...and not a very eggy quiche, which is a plus in my book.  It's very meaty, making it great for brunch or dinner.  And the crust? It's the star of the show...salty and sweet.  And oh-so-easy to prepare.  I hope you like it as much as I do.  (And leftovers lasted in my fridge for two days.  That's because I finished the last piece yesterday for lunch. Nathanael was sad it was gone.)  

Can you say "new family favorite"?

Chicken Pecan Quiche


Chicken Pecan Quiche

Crust:
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/3 cup oil

Filling:
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
1/4 cup onion
1/4 tsp. dried dillweed
3 drops hot sauce (optional)
1/4 cup pecan halves (I used the tiny chopped ones ideal for cookies)
2 handfuls of chopped fresh spinach

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all crust ingredients EXCEPT the oil in a medium bowl.  Add the oil and stir well.  Press the mixture along the bottom and sides of a pie plate. (I used my deep dish pie plate from Pampered Chef and it fit perfectly.)

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes and allow to cool.

3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sour cream, chicken broth, mayonnaise, and eggs with a wire whisk until smooth.  Stir in chicken, cheese, onion, dill, and hot sauce.  If you're using chopped pecans, add them to the mixture as well...if using halves, wait.  Pour the mixture over the crust. Arrange pecan halves on top of the quiche. 

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes until set.  Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!


No comments:

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs