Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Most days...

you can find me with a favorite mug in hand.

For instance, this one makes me SO happy.  I bought this one from Starbucks when we were living for a few months in an unfurnished apartment while waiting for our house to be finished.  We didn't have a microwave...and I hadn't thought about bringing my teakettle along, so I boiled water in a small saucepan (borrowed from a friend) every morning and afternoon for my cup of tea.

Day 9: faceless self-portrait

And this mug (my ONE mug) made me smile...despite the "inconveniences" of those couple months.  And looking back on them? They were wonderful months.  When I use this mug, it reminds me of what simple joys I came to know during those months when I realized how very little we actually need.

(couldn't decide which picture I liked better...)

Usually, this cup holds Earl Grey, my most favorite and everyday tea.  This day however, it holds cafe au lait...which I've been making at home lately after reminiscing of my cup in Savannah a few days ago!

Here's how I make mine...so very easy.

Cafe Au Lait

8 oz. steamed milk
8 oz. hot coffee (regular or decaf, depending on the time of day. I'm not "allowed" regular after a certain point in the afternoon.  It doesn't help my night-owl tendencies!
1 Tbsp. sugar in the raw

I pour both steamed milk and hot coffee together in a ceramic coffee pot/tea pot, stirring a bit.  After pouring into my mug, I stir about 1/2 Tbsp. sugar into my cup.  This recipe fills that mug above twice! :)

Do you have a favorite teacup or mug? What fills it most often?  I'd love to hear your stories!

6 comments:

Michele H. said...

i love that 2nd photo Kimber-Leigh and that recipe sounds delish. Do you buy a certain coffee brand? My dh is a coffee lover and we recently bought a coffee maker, so I'm looking for ways to spruce up my twice a week cup:)

Kimber-Leigh said...

michele...we generally have starbucks coffee around the house...but when we find a favorite kind at a specialty store or coffeehouse, we sometimes buy there too.

Ursula Schneider said...

I think we must be girls after the same heart! I have 3 favorite mugs, all of them from Starbucks. I have yet to actually try Earl Grey (not sure why that is) however, my cup is typically filled with an English Tea called PG Tips and French Vanilla creamer. I think I might go and make myself some now.

Anonymous said...

I am not a coffee drinker but that recipe sounds mighty yummy! I also love mugs and I have a fovorite one I reserve for hot chocolate on cold evenings.

Christa said...

I have a favorite couple of mugs too and it's the simple things that bring some peace and familiarity to the day!

Kelly Noel said...

i'm not much of a coffee drinker...sometimes i'll drink it (w/bailey's ;) after a good dinner though. :)

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs