Sunday, August 07, 2011

Foundations

Day 6: childhood memory

Yesterday, I went to a baby shower and one of the centerpiece decorations was this vintage Babies book.  It brought back so many special memories of reading with my Mom.  (I will have to look for our old copy of that on my next trip home.)

The two books pictured above are so precious to me.  

The Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes.  

My first Bible Story book...I have such vivid memory of reading these stories and poring over the pictures for hours.  We received the updated version of this for our children...but the cartoonish drawings just aren't the same as the illustrations from my original.  I quickly asked my Mom to bring my copy a few years ago...and now my memories of this book also include my own children, who love this too.  

Special Times with God

I love the simple set-up of this children's devotional...reading it as an adult, I was surprised at how I anticipated the simple sketches that would come next...and how I remembered the stories and questions.

This has reminded me of how important these early, impressionable years are...and how I want to make the most of them in what I teach our children...what I read to them, sing to them, play with them, show them.

Because one day, I hope the things they will remember will be the important things.  Foundational things.  Things that shaped them.

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not depart from it."

2 comments:

Ursula Schneider said...

I am rejoicing that you are so passionately teaching your children about Jesus. What a blessing that will be for them and a holy heritage. God bless you!

... said...

Isn't it amazing to look back at books that you read as a kid and sill remember everything about them? I had those two books also and haven't seen them in years. It would be fun to look at them again. XOXO

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs