Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Cooking Time

I love to cook. I especially love to bake. But I really enjoy cooking...and I am notorious for trying out new recipes on dinner guests. Thankfully, the results are usually happy tummies!

I love collecting recipes...and I thought you might too, so I decided that Wednesdays will be recipe-share days! For today:

Chichen Enchilada Soup

1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup chicken base
3 cups diced yellow onions
1 can mild green chiles, diced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups Masa Harina (corn flour)
4 quarts water
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 pound Velveeta cheese (cubed)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 10 oz. can mild enchilada sauce
5 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed or pulled apart

1. In a large pot (I use my large stockpot), place oil, chicken base, onion, chiles, and spices. Saute until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve. Add this to sauteed onions; bring to a boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot.
3. Add tomatoes and enchilada sauce; let mixture return to boiling, stirring constantly.
4. Add cheeses to soup, stirring occasionally until cheese melts. Add chicken and heat through.

Serve hot and garnish with any or all of:
sour cream
cilantro
corn tortillas, sliced thinly and baked until crisp at 400 degrees
green onions, chopped
diced roma tomatoes

This recipe makes A LOT of soup! Have containers for freezing available...we got three dinners and a couple lunches out of one pot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love a good recipe myself! Love to cook, love to bake.

I got to your site through Joanna's (you know, bored and browsing!)

I'm not a scrapper, but I am a lover of recipes :) I'm practically obsessed with Paula Deen and the Food Network.

Anyway, enjoyed your site - and the new recipe. I also have a son and a daughter - and I lived in North Carolina for awhile!!

Take Care!

Jillian Marie said...

Sounds yummy, will definately have to make soon!!! TFS

Hilary said...

Ok, it is Wednesday again...I'm waiting for the next mouth-watering recipe!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs