Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Comfort

The temperature dropped today from the mid 60's to 36...which means that Brent is splitting some firewood for tonight...the perfect setting for decorating our new tree and our home for Christmas! We even have a slight hope that the weather forecast will come true and bring a little bit of snow tomorrow. We are thrilled!!!

I have a pot of soup simmering on the stove and I can't wait to enjoy it on this first really cold night! So, in honor of the cold...how about a recipe for good comfort food? This is my mom's chicken pot pie...and by far my favorite! She made it for me and a good friend the night after our husbands deployed to the middle east right before the war started. And I have made it so many times since...thankfully with Brent able to enjoy it too!

Chicken Pot Pie

3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1/3 cup butter
1 large can Veg-all
1/2 cup flour
1 cup half and half
2 cups chicken broth
1 tsp. salt
pepper
2 pie crusts (I use Pillsbury)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Saute vegetables in butter, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, half and half, broth, salt, and pepper until slightly thickened. Stir in chicken.
2. Place pie crust in deep dish pie plate. Pour in chicken mixture. Cover with remaining pie crust and seal edge.
3. Bake for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmm....can't wait to try this! Glad Brent is able to have it with you:):)
And please send some cold weather this way. 76 is way too hot for "almost" december!

Anonymous said...

Kimber-Leigh, when I saw your mom last month I told her I loved this recipe. She put it in the Roberson cook book, it's a regular favorite at our house too! I'm going to try the apple pie recipe this weekend. Thanks for sharing!-meredith

Jillian Marie said...

Both recipes sound so yummy!! Think I am going to make the Pot pie tomorrow, thanks a million! In case you can't tell, I especially look forward to Wednesday at your blog!! smiles-Jillian

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs